Sunday, October 5, 2008

Cumulative versus Definitive

In working with Motion 3 and fearing the dreaded overuse of effects because one can, my mind focused on a different thought.

You don't want to be judged as a hack for being overly passionate about Motion 3 and overdoing it. Alas, videos are just videos. Rather than self criticize and hold off for perfection by way of imitating what you or others deem "perfect," fool around and forget about the "definitive" movie, script, or statement.

Allow yourself to be judged by cumulative criteria- your progression over projects over time.

This is far less crippling that a make or break shooting session. Look to the actuality of survival. The higher stakes something gets, the less energy is available for nerves and distraction.

I'm telling myself I'm going to play with Motion 3 for the cumulative effect of all the finished work. The first things may be heavy handed. So what? Being overly concerned about the "Definitive statement" hasn't worked out so great for me. I've been shooting. I've just been so psyched out by posting. Thankfully Motion 3, FCP 6, and these nifty plugins I've bought actually work as they should and hopefully I can get over my need for definitive representation and explore and experiment for the cumulative growth.

To arrive in Paris you have to get to the airport. No one cares if you get to the airport by bus, taxi, or limo. Once you're in Paris, you're there and no one can tell you you're not. Filmmaking is Paris. Making mistakes is better than not making movies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home